The League of Extraordinary Mages
The Nightingale Estate, Embley Park
Purchased by William Edward Nightingale in 1826 the estate at Embley Park was described by him as “a good-sized plain square house of the late Georgian period, the situation warm and sheltered, the gardens very large and exceptionally fine. The shooting was good, London was reasonably near, and Fanny’s two married sisters, Mrs Nicholson at Waverley Abbey near Farnham and Mrs Bonham-Carter at Fair Oak, near Winchester, were within easy reach." The house was used as the family’s permanent residence while Lea Hurst was retained as a summer residence.
It was within the grounds of Embley that Florence received her vision from god in 1837 whilst sat underneath an oak tree. She returned to Embley after her time in the Crimean spending many years there in between missions for the League until the faking of her death in London. After her death her body was brought by train back to Romsey and her coffin carried from the station to the church at East Wellow where she is buried, and Florence took on a new identity, that of her sister Parthenope’s daughter and commissioned the building of a cottage on the estate which served as the base of operations for her current identity.
After the end of WWII Florence, acting as custodian of the estate, converted the main house into a boarding school for boys aged between 3 and 18 where it excelled at educating young minds. In 1996 the school joined with an all girl’s school creating a coeducational boarding school.
Florence, now in her new identity of Abigail continues to be a constant supporter of the school, which has been constantly improving on already impressive exam results. Florence still keeps residence at the cottage on the grounds.